Sunday 18 September 2011

To War!

In the hodgepodge of pots and plants that currently inhabits what I optimistically call my garden, I've found nearly every annual, biannual, and perennial weed known to man. Weeding can be a harrowing experience. Apart from the sheer waste of time and effort involved, to all but the most experienced gardener there is also the problem of what to remove. 

Everyone has a personal view about gardening: the driving force of life, a pleasant hobby, a necessary chore, or pure drudgery. I fall into the second category; gardening is fascinating and fun but also extremely frustrating at the same time! The enjoyment is in the anticipation and excitement of planning the year ahead, in the satisfaction of growing beautiful new life, and in actually seeing the fruits of my labours. Frustration comes from that eternal menace -weeds- which never fail to appear as if from nowhere and insinuate themselves into my well-planned idyll.

Now that the season is on the turn, I will start my battle once again. Perhaps this year will prove the exception to the rule, I will fight and eradicate this common menace, and next spring my garden will resemble my dream.

2 comments:

  1. Well don good start. Welcome to blogosphere.

    So which of these native Oregon tribes do you belong to?

    Burns Paiute Tribe
    Confederated Tribes of the Coos, Lower Umpqua and Siuslaw Indians
    Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde Community of Oregon
    Confederated Tribes of Siletz Indians
    Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation
    Confederated Tribes of Warm Springs
    Coquille Indian Tribe
    Cow Creek Band of Umpqua Tribe of Indians
    Klamath Tribes

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be the Klamath Tribes if I were tribal. I grew up with lots of friends who lived on the reservation until I was in high school. Then the US government bought their land from them.

    ReplyDelete